A fellow blogger mommy whose blog I read and love nominated me for a Liebster Blog Award, which I really appreciate especially since I feel my blog is a bit sad now that I am a super busy mom. So busy that I am very late in getting this posted to my blog!
The Liebster Blog Award rules are:
1) Answer the 11 questions written by your nominator. 2) Nominate
11 7 other bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
3) Write 11 of your own questions for each nominee to answer.
And so to the questions we go:
Jell Jell over at http://illsleepwhentheyregrown.com/ is is so
- What is your favorite post you have written?
Not sure that I have a favorite. I don’t really have any time to go back and re-read them so once they are written that is it. If I did go back and read them I think I would be horrified by all of the grammar problems resulting in a lack of proof-reading. Probably just thinking back, I would say the posts after just becoming a mom would be my favorite since they were a part of such a huge evolution in my life. From thirty something care free person to a first time mom trying to figure it all out and stumbling through it day by day.
2. Why did you begin blogging?
After finding out I was pregnant and knowing that my life, career and social life were about to change drastically I wanted a way to communicate and connect with other future and new mothers. There is so much information out there so why not add to the information overload in my own little way!
3. Why do you blog now?
My blog is one of the many things in my life that has taken a backseat to parenting a very active little guy. I don’t get to post nearly as often as I would like to but I love reading all of the posts of the blogs I follow. Blogging as a mom and reading other mom blogs has been a great way to stay connected to the outside world and to share in this new experience with other fellow new and experienced parents. It helps keep me sane and to keep the feelings of isolation at bay.
4. What is your favorite date night activity?
That is an intersting question. My husband and I just had our first date night in seven months this past weekend. We got all dolled up and went to the opera. It was glorious! If you asked me this before the baby I would probably answer so differently but now I would say being able to out and do ANYTHING while knowing my little guy is in good hands. Being able to not worry that he will be unhappy is a big part of a good date night.
5. You have an entire day to yourself, what do you do with it?
This is actually so hard to visualize at this point in my life. There are so, so many things I SHOULD do but I would love to have a spa day and nap fest. Honestly, if I could spend a day catching up on sleep that would probably be the most amazing thing ever!
6. If you could give one piece of advice to other moms, what would it be?
Listen to your instincts. Because of the huge amount of information available and the many, many different opinions on the “right way” to parent I think women have really lost touch with their instinctual ability to do what is best for their baby. We spend so much time reading, researching and receiving other people’s advice. Just listen to your heart and your gut. I need to listen to this advice myself.
7. Imagine you went back in time to talk to your 18-year-old self, what would you tell her?
I wish I could have told myself that so much of what society was telling me was important (being pretty, in style, popular) was not important. I would love to go back and tell myself to just embrace my true self and let all of the rest go. Listen to your heart – that would be such a great message to have embraced. It is interseting to wonder how your life would have turned out differently had you been able to actually go back and tell yourself something like this.
8. What Christmas tradition have you developed in your family that you love?
Really, not many. We focuse on spending time with people out of the desire to be with them rather than feeling “forced” to because it is the holidays. We also try to keep gift buying sane and rational. We do a lot of perishable/useable gifts like yummy foods and beer, etc. I don’t like clutter nor does hubby so we don’t want to contribute to clutter in people’s lives. We want to give them things they will utilize.
I actually am a bit of a grinch around the holidays (we don’t decorate at all) but suspect that will change now that we have a baby.
9. Any pets?
We have two Welsh Terriers named Oliver and Paisley. They used to be my fur babies and I am sad to say now that I have a (human) baby I don’t give them nearly much attention as they need and deserve.
10. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
Right now it would be how much I love being a mommy and what a huge capacity for love I have. Little did I know that my heart could swell and grow so much but it has and I am loving the transformation into mommyhood.
11. What did you study in school?
I have studied so many things and continue to do so. If I could be a lifelong student I would. My degree is a BA in History. But I have enough hours to have at least a double major in Mass Communications. I attended grad school briefly while we lived overseas studying Public Administration. Then I came back to the states fully intending to finish my degree only to change my mind and study yoga and massage therapy. I still take classes of any kind whenever possible. Education is an amazing gift to give yourself or anyone else willing to accept it!
Enough about me, let’s learn more about some fellow bloggers. I am posing the same questions because, well I am too lazy to make up new ones!
1. jell jell at http://illsleepwhentheyregrown.com/ ’cause she is a hoot, has great pictures of adorable kiddos and seems to have tons of energy because she is doing more with two than I can manage with one!
2. chicken nuggets and elmo. Love the blog nam and the uber adorable pictures http://chickennuggetsandelmo.com/
3. Single Mom on the run http://singlemomontherun.com/ very well written and lots of information on parenting
4. A little inspiration from: http://thepositivepear.com/ whose posts keep me inspired to be healthy
5. The Speech Monster at http://cherbie.wordpress.com/ has great information on child development and an adorable kiddo.
6. Deb at http://miniskirtandspittingup.wordpress.com/ has beautiful photos of her beautiful daughter and a great perspective on being an expat and parent.
7. Michelle at http://michellegd.com/ has beautiful pictures and inspiring words!